Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
toyota 5m converted to turbo oil? - Hardtuned.net

toyota 5m converted to turbo oil? 

4 replies to this topic

#1 chris_c30

• Car:s14a 200sx

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:43 PM

Bought a ma60 with the 5m with a turbo conversion what oil should I use should I be using the spec oil or something different thanks

#2 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:44 AM

If it's an original 5m that hasn't been rebuilt, I wouldn't be running anything too a winter weight. I would expect 15w/40 would be a minimum on that engine, and I used to run 20w/50 on my NA 7MGE.

The issue you'll have is that turbos aren't happy with viscous oil, but if you go too light on an old engine then it will simply blow past the rings or seep past the valve stem seals. Get an oil pressure gauge and start with 15w/40, then check for signs of burnt oil during running/idling, or oil in the exhaust smoke on takeoff. If you get either of these, then run something thicker until you either change the rings to fine up the tollerance, or change the valve stem seals. If the oil pressure drops too low, then that's another sign that you need to change it up.

Given 15w/40 is within the oem chart for hot weather, I'd consider that a fair compromise to meet the needs of the turbo and the engine.

#3 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:45 AM

Also, please post a build thread for the Celica Supra. NS needs more oldschool Jap muscle.

#4 chris_c30

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

Thanks pmod ive been planning too but dont know how to post pics on my phone and havent gotten around to using my laptop yet, going to drift prac Saturday So hopefully have some good pics

#5 chris_c30

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:00 PM

Also I hadnt read this yet and went out and bought a penrite 20w-60 extra ten high performance mineral its one of the recommended ones so hopefully its ok

And according to the last owner it has been rebuilt and decompressed so i have no idea whats the go with the internals I guess ill just have to wait for it to die

Edited by chris_c30, 09 July 2015 - 10:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!