N/A 2jz to GTE 

6 replies to this topic

#1 timhop86

• Car:99 Caldina gtt

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:33 AM

Hey everyone,
I have been curious about this for a while, I have found this 99 N/A JZA80 stock with the Get-rag 6 speed. Sorry for my ignorance but is the same 6 speed as in the turbo version? I am under the impression that the standard 6 speed boxes found in the N/A's are not as strong.
So based on this ignorant assumption, would it be an easy swap from an N/A engine to a stock 2j gte? (I know different ECU, exhaust etc and all that comes associated with a usual swap), but is there anything unique or difficult about this conversion? The link for the car attached
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks everyone for the read

http://www.carsales....23DBBC&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294962861 4294962110 412 903&PriceTo=412&__Ntx=mode matchallpartial&__Qpb=1&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode matchany

#2 Red_Gem

• Car:gtr

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

So are you swapping the complete motor for a gte? Or do you wanna turbo the n/a motor. Because Toyota were way ahead of you ad designed the inlet and exhaust flanges on the head different between the two so pretty much none of the gte gear will work on your n/a. Although there are a few aftermarket options.

#3 timhop86

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

View PostRed_Gem, on 23 August 2011 - 12:59 PM, said:

So are you swapping the complete motor for a gte? Or do you wanna turbo the n/a motor. Because Toyota were way ahead of you ad designed the inlet and exhaust flanges on the head different between the two so pretty much none of the gte gear will work on your n/a. Although there are a few aftermarket options.

Thanks for the reply!
I want to just remove the motor and replace it with a vvti GTE from either a series 2 JZA80 or similar aristo. So would the Get-rag 6 speed and other components be able to cope with the turbo motor?
Thanks

#4 blind_injustice

• Car:GM Test pilot

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:03 PM

Going from NA to TT is easy (if your changing whole engine)
All bolt in, what box you planing on using?

#5 timhop86

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

View Postblind_injustice, on 26 August 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

Going from NA to TT is easy (if your changing whole engine)
All bolt in, what box you planing on
using?

The get-rag 6 speed that is currently in it, though are the differentials different between the N/A and the tt?
Thanks

#6 blind_injustice

• Car:GM Test pilot

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

How much are you willing to spend?
On vehicle + all up?

#7 rx22nv

• Car:Nissan Skyline GXE 86

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

The Getrag 6 speed in the NA cars is a V161. The turbo ones are a V160. The ratios are different but the strength is the same. I have seen 6 speeds in supras with well over 1400hp and survive.

Its the 6 speeds in the altezza's which are not as strong.

Motor swap is fairly straight forward but you'd be best trying to get a supra front cut rather than an aristo one.

NA can be turbo'd but there are many variables there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!